Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Pedestal Table to Call My Own

I love, love, love pedestal kitchen tables. Big hot pink puffy heart them. Our new house has a formal dining room right next to the casual eat-in kitchen, meaning all the more that I wanted a pedestal table to differentiate from the regular four-legged rectangle table next door.

Immediately upon moving in, I was on the hunt for one to make my next DIY project. A few reasons why I knew I wanted to DIY it:

1. They're such a classic shape that they've been around for ages... translation- the perfect one would appear at a thrift store, estate sale, or Craigslist, I just had to wait for it

2. Solid wood especially with *curves* could get spendy quick and I wanted a good one that would last, like a kitchen table needs to

3. Lastly, refinishing wood furniture is about the easiest home project there is

So let's take a moment to oooohhh and awww at some glamorous pedestal tables.





Photos courtesy of Country Living.

The funny thing is that our house's previous owner did leave us a kitchen table and seating. It served us quite well for the first few days before we had any other furniture. Our first meal (Chinese take-out) was eaten here. We even asked for it- our realtor talked it up like we really liked it. Who wouldn't?


Especially since they not only came with cushions, but also...


All the extra storage a girl could want.... okay, okay not really. The real reason is because I figure this bad boy has got to be worth something on Craigslist, right? A little something to put towards my dream pedestal table and criss-cross chairs.

So finally, here's the pedestal I can call my own. I found this beauty at a local thrift store for (get this) $35. I know, right? A few character scratches even. Love it. Woke up early Memorial Day to run some errands (okay, okay go shopping for house stuff) and a quick swing through the thirft store (yes, shamelessly, I have a mental shopping list for DIY projects at all times and also know that holidays = 30% funiture). I had the sold ticket in my hand in seconds, thinking everyone else would want to fight me for it. A quick trip back to get the sleepy hubby and the SUV and she came home.


My inspiration is textbook Pottery Barn. I know, I know. Pottery Barn is so cliche, but darn it, it's so freaking classic and home-y.

So here is their Harvest table and Aaron chairs for a whooping grand total of $2,350. Um, right. But I had to have those chairs.


So I found them exactly as hoped at JC Penneys for around $60 each. JC Penneys does great PB *inspired* furniture. I ordered them in antiqued white, but they also come in antiqued black and walnut. While I love dark wood stain, I forced myself to go different for the kitchen.

When the chairs come in, I will color match and paint the table, so for now I am sanding and priming to my heart's content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin