Monday, June 21, 2010

Adventures in paint samples

Our eat-in kitchen and family room are open to each other and yet also separated off from the formal living and dining rooms, so I want to use the layout as an opportunity to create a space that was fun and a little bold in color. I was envisioning a celery green (wall), navy blue (couch), sandy tan (countertops), and pop of turquoise and orange (throw pillows) color palette. Very much like this inspiration board from The Craft Begins:


I searched high and low for some inspiration:

Design*Sponge

Kathycolorado from Rate My Space

Country Living


I couldn't find the exact color scheme I had in mind but I still was totally digging the inspiration board. So, I chewed on it and thought over it for weeks before coming down to two yellow-y celery-y greens that definitely weren't mint-y or sage-y. I arrived at Glidden's Spring Cactus and Celery Sticks:

Of course, though, they look totally sage-y in these photos :)

I originally thought I was going to paint the entire house in Behr colors. I love the variety of colors, the cost is a solid mid-range price point, and Consumer Reports rates them quite high. But the ease of pre-mixed sample bottles drew me to Glidden. And I love their shades: very muted, cool tones. Though I must say they have far fewer number of colors readily accessible with sample cards and bottles. But in some way that makes choosing actually easier- the Behr selection is pretty overwhelming, I will admit. I loved Glidden's Navajo Sand so much I bought a 5-gallon bucket for our formal living room, dining room, hallway, and stairwell, and was quite impressed with its coverage and color.

However, the second I put both the greens up on the wall in our kitchen and family room, I was not won over. And still wasn't after it dried. And still wasn't after I put it in a few different places around the space. Some how it just.didn't.go. You know? I asked the hubby what he thought, and he totally agreed.


They just looked wrong for the look we are trying to create. So it was back to square one. Best $6 mistake I think I ever made. I *big, pink, puffy heart* those little sample paint bottles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin