Friday, December 31, 2010

Seven Layered Desk

Over the holidays I finally found the time to paint my desk I purchased in what turned out to be the *wrong* color. The “walnut” stain really was orange-y, self-tanner walnut- why, oh why, didn’t I read the review? I had been trying to steer clear of the white desk “everyone” is doing, but immediately cursed myself when I saw it in person…. in my house.

Before….

PC120190

Shopping for our home has really shown me just how much stores DO NOT carry in-house, but solely online- tons of furniture, bedding, curtains, you know, all the kinds of stuff you want to touch and see in person before forking over some big ones. Okay, vent over.

After taking apart the desk, I went over all the pieces with primer. Then a zillion times with milky white color in semi-gloss. Spent two days in painting clothes, coming back every 30 minutes for another layer here, a touch up there. Just about took my sanity.

I bought a custom vinyl decal from Empressive Designs (along with the one I used in the laundry room).

After……

PC300198

Down below, I added some color by spray-painting some baskets and hot gluing ribbon around white storage containers. Glass storage jars are a mix of vintage and Ikea.

PC300200

PC300201

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin