Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Overcoming Designer’s Block

Over the summer I got a good push of motivation to work on my craft room / office: I painted the walls a celery color, I bought a funk teal lamp, a large trestle work desk, some cork boards, and hung some curtains. Then I just got stuck. I became unsure of my choices, of my color scheme, and we had other huge projects we began tackling in later summer.

I had some beginning ideas of a funky, but mature; feminine, but not girly room. But I just couldn’t find the exact inspiration I needed  to push me to confidently finish. I swear there is only like 5 craft room / feminine offices floating around in the blogosphere.

A walk through the Lowe’s paint department last night, I finally saw the confirmation I needed. A part of their Audubon Collection is the Grandeur assortment….. exactly what I was thinking, but hadn’t seen put together.

Olympic Audubon Grandeur Swatches

Cool blues, celery greens, deep turquoises. Elegant, but casual. Feminine, but mature. Bold, but clean.

Here’s what I’m wanting to do:

I was trying to be original and not get a white craft desk, but my gamble busted when Target’s Madison Trestle Desk in Antique Walnut turned out to be a Self-Tanner Overkill Orange Walnut. I guess I’m having that white desk after all.

Madison Trestle DeskHere is the white version in action in this awesome space by froggymonkey, via RateMySpace.com or Flikr.com

 

The plan is to paint it a soft, milky white and personalize it with a giant monogram decal, a la Living With Lindsay:

Livign With Lindsay Decal Desk

Perhaps using one of Empressive Designs’ decals

EmpressiveDesigns 

Or Vinyl Graffiti’s

VinylGraffiti decal

Then I want to fill my IKEA RIBBA picture frame shelves with all sorts of fun things encased in teal, silver, and walnut frames:

Some embroidery art, a la White Nest

whitenest 1

Some button art, a la Letter Perfect Designs

LetterPerfectDesigns Button 2 

Some modern quill art, a la Yulia Brodskaya

Yulia Brodskaya artyulia

And somewhere I want to find room for a ceramic elephant, hopefully vintage, but mass produced would do. Just cuz.

ZGallerie Elephant

I’m digging these Audubon prints from AllPosters.com:

A smaller framed White Crowned Finch

White Crowned Finch

A large framed Louisiana Heron

Louisiana Heron 

Eventually, replace the builder light with something a little fancier, like this one from Overstock.com

Ceiling Light 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin