Sunday, August 8, 2010

Fresh Apricot Scones

 Apricot Scones 2Having already made a batch of apricot jam as well as canned apricots, I still had half my stash of fresh apricots left. What does one do with apricots? I ask my husband. Why not apricot scones? he replies.

How did I not think of that sooner. Such a man of my heart. I love, love, love scones and still have daydreams of the scones from Friday Harbor. Now, I wasn’t kidding myself about how much on my stash one batch of scones would use up, but at least I could get some homemade scones out Apricot Scones 1of the deal.

Some googling revealed recipe after recipe that used dried apricots, but I finally found this one printed on a few different sites so it must be good right? Additionally, the original source is the Washington State Fruit Commission and it is Washington State apricots that I am trying to get rid of baking with. I must say they turned out pretty darn good for a girl who has only made one batch of very mediocre scones years ago.

2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter, diced
1 cup diced fresh apricots (I ended up using 5 whole apricots)
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs

Mix dry ingredients (except for 1 tablespoon sugar) together, add in butter until mixture forms a crumble. Add apricots in, mix; then add in milk and eggs. Mix together. (My dough was pretty sticky by this point so I added probably another 3/4 cup flour).

Preheat oven to 450. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough gently about 10 times (I was using a ton of flour again). Place dough on a lightly oiled baking sheet and form into a 3/4 inch high circle. Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of sugar then cut into 8 wedges.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes (mine needed the full 15 minutes) or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin