Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Birthday Getaway

My birthday was last week and as I get older I can definitely see a difference in how I regard my day. When you are a kid, a giant party with cake and gifts is the standard- emphasis on the me-me-me. Tons of friends and tons of gifts with you as the centerpiece. I've noticed that my twenties, among everything else, has been a transition in how I want to celebrate my birthday.

Especially, since just buying a house and pouring most of our discretionary income towards it, but for other reasons too, I simply didn't want a bunch of "stuff". I have all the necklaces, Kitchenaid stand mixers, iPods I could want. So needless to say, I wasn't much help to my husband. But he still came through big time.

It all started with this:

My first set of real, fancy-smancy, adult luggage. I had still been using the suitcase I bought with high school graduation money. It still is in great shape and will be happily donated to a local foster care organization. I like that the gift follows the "item-in, item-out" rule and allows me to pay it forward to a kid in need. Perfect.

It also was the perfect gift because I was going to need it the very next day. He made reservations at Lakedale Resort on San Juan Island. Best birthday gift ever.

San Juan Island is the most populated island of the San Juan Islands, located about 90 minutes north of Seattle and about an hour ferry ride west.



The ferry dock at Friday Harbor, the only incorporated town of all the San Juan Islands.


Lakedale Resort is located on the shores between two small lakes up the road from Friday Harbor. It is straight off the cover of Sunset magazine. No, really it made the cover a few years ago. You totally know why when you get there. They offer hotel rooms in the main lodge, cabins, decked-out Airstream trailers, "glam-ping" canvas tents, and regular camping. A-maz-ing.


We arrived mid-day, so I already had my coffee-fix, so the following morning it was priority one to come here- The Skinniest Latte Shop. Yes that really is how wide it is. The owner and barista-extraordinaire said it used to be the alleyway between the two buildings. Too cute. My skinny latte was awesome too.



Then it was off to the Market Chef a block over, which my Frommer's said had the best chocolate chip cookies. Not being a huge cookie fan, I hoped that meant they had other baked goodies. I was so right. Their scones were a little slice of heaven. Crumbly, sweet, biscuit-y but not dried out, packed with yummy berries, perfection. We had scones for breakfast every morning (they freshly bake new flavors each day) and bought two while waiting in the ferry line to go home. I went home with a mission to perfect my scone-making skills (which aren't so hot) to try to emulate these.



Another favorite spot is the Pelindaba Lavender Farm tucked away in the middle of the island. Their large Lavender Festival was just the previous weekend so we were able to enjoy the fully bloomed and aromatic fields without the crowds. I was so in love, I bought 5 plants to put alongside our bay window out front.



Unfortunately, we weren't able to go on a whale-watching tour since we had our dogs with us. Some of the best whale-watching waters surround the San Juans. Instead, we stopped by Lime Kiln State Park, which has the best land-based whale-watching on the island. We weren't disappointed. We saw a couple singles and a small pod with a baby orca swim by. There are two resident orca pods in the area and park rangers can tell you all about them. The lighthouse and rocky cliff views are dreamy too if you don't happen to see anything. I'm sure sunsets here a one-of-a-kind. Off in the distance is Vancouver Island, British Columbia.



On the opposite end of the island (only 20 minutes though) is Roche Harbor. Very beautiful location. A huge dock for boats, restaurants, hotels, and public gardens. I had the best homemade clam chowder here at the Lime Kiln Cafe.



This was the most relaxing mini-vacation and now one of my most favorite places. I couldn't believe we've lived in the Seattle area for so long and hadn't gone here sooner. If you couldn't tell yet, I highly recommend this as the perfect summertime long weekend getaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin