Saturday, August 14, 2010

One Drawer Done, A Million to More to Go…

A close second behind being able to paint walls and replace fixtures, being able to custom organize is one of my favorite things about being a homeowner. All through my college and our saving-for-a-house years, I had a hard time buying things to organize with that were specific to the current address.

Beyond a few basic closet baskets and a silverware divider, I really just lived with what I had, buying only the most necessary containers.

Not any more :)

So in addition to my laundry list of “dream house” projects, finding the perfect organizing solutions for every closet, drawer, garage shelf is something I have in the back of my head whenever I’m at Target or the Trifecta (Costco, Lowes, Home Depot- all next door to each other, just 3 miles away…. dangerous, I tell ya…). Organizing gear tends to be spendy, it certainly is with the lovely Container Store, but I figure adding pieces little by little and with a little persistent searching and creativity it doesn’t have to be.

I have two kitchen drawers I have been on the look out for  solutions: my extra-wide silverware /cooking utensil drawer and my same-sized knife /small utensil drawer.

A quick loop through the kitchen storage aisle at Target garnered a pack of drawer compartments in nearly exactly the overall dimensions I needed for the sweet price of $10. My only regret is not finding it sooner.

Perfection:

Knife Drawer

Added bonus: the little bits of cardboard used in the packaging wedged perfectly in the inch or so gap between the containers and the back of the drawer so they won’t slide around.

Knife / utensil drawer: done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin