Sunday, July 18, 2010

Tomato Pesto and Yellow Squash

It's no secret that I love veggies and I couldn't be more thrilled than to be growing my own for the first time this summer..... except for the fact that this spring and summer have been like the mildest and rainiest ON RECORD.

Yeah.... So, it is the middle of July and only half my veggies have made it to "ready to eat" status: lettuce, sugar peas, and broccoli. A couple more I've just started picked out of impatience: onions and fingerling potatoes.

My tomatoes are still the size of peas and kelly green, my onions are the size of plums, and I have one decent-sized zucchini I might harvest later this week.

However, I will still pretend that tonight's dinner was full of garden harvest. At least my onions were... in all their petite glory.

Yellow Squash:

Slice onion (white or yellow) in long slices
Slice yellow squash into coins or match sticks

Saute over medium heat with a little minced garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil, and a dash of water until golden brown. Simplicity at it's best.


Tomato Pesto over Whole Wheat Pasta:

Chop up two medium tomatoes, don't discard the fleshy insides
Chop up a small onion
Have on hand a few tablespoons of prepared pesto

Let veggies cook down a little in a small pot over medium heat. Add pesto (because everything is better with pesto). Cook some more. Boil whole wheat pasta; drain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin