Sunday, March 6, 2011

Cheapest Makeover Yet

Alternate post titles include:

Why Did I Not Do This Sooner?
What Would I Do Without Target?
The Joys of Leftover Paint
From Ugly to Not Too Bad in Three Easy Steps

Stage One of Master Bathroom Redo: Option One is done. Thanks so some must-have stripped blue-green towels from Target, an almost entire gallon of soothing grey-green paint left over from another bathroom, two of the absolute cheapest yet fairly snazzy DIY projects I’ve come up with in recent months, and a few accessories I already had on hand I can honestly say it all came in well under $100 (with the towels being the massive bulk of it all).

P3060212

After 2

After 3

Recap of the already mentioned towels and paint:

Towels Wall

Inspired by the mighty classic subway tile (which sadly was not popular in circa 1990 suburban housing) and the absolute beauty of recent design choice of glass tile laid vertically,

Vertical Bath Tile 2   (taken from Apartment Therapy)

I created some “art”…

P3060218

From the much underappreciated, humble paint chip.

P3060219

I could have easily snipped the ends that out their original use, but they are so subtle you don’t even see the marking sunless up close, and I think it leads itself  to being a little quirky the way it is.

Wall Art 1

Super easy, this was. The wonderful Martha Stewart has the best chips- long, straight edges, great colors. I grabbed a few in several different greens, blues, and creams. I also used several from my stash at home. To alleviate the guilt, I tell myself over and over how many thousands of dollars I’ve spent there over the last year; that helps a little. Only took about an hour and a half to cut and glue all those strips into position. The frame came out of the crawl space, where it was waiting for a new purpose. So it came out to be….. free.

The window “treatment” also was about as easy as could be too.

P3060216

I stole this basic white canvas valence (yes, Target striking again)from the laundry room (where I am thinking about finding some colorful, patterned fabric to sew my own valence anyway to make it more interesting down there). So besides the lightweight “cafe” curtain rod (from.. you guessed it!), it was only few bucks on a grey slate blue roll of ribbon to match the hand towels (no way I was going to match that bright teal in the tile work). Measure, pin, sew, hang.

Idea came from all the “hotel” stripped bed and bath linens:

Shower Curtain Stripe

Lastly, a few accessories already all on hand (of course, except the towels):

Accessories 2 Glass jar with sage green bath salts, olive green vase (which eerily has the same vertical, glass tiling design), faux succulent, rolled towels, fresh candle all in a beachy basket.

Done and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin